The average healthy human body requires at least 2liters of liquid a day for it to function optimally. Drinking fluids is crucial to staying healthy and maintaining the function of every system in your body, including your heart, brain, and muscles. Fluids carry nutrients to your cells, flush bacteria from your bladder, and prevent constipation.
When we hear hydration the first thing that comes to mind is usually water but hydration comes from different sources that doesn’t only revolve around water, we can get hydrated from liquid found in fruits and vegetables and other drinks we might consume. Apart from preventing you from being thirsty hydration has other health benefits
Hydration is very important for the following reasons and more
1) Detoxification: Water is a great detoxifier, when you are well hydrated your liver and kidneys are able to flush out toxins from your body but when you are dehydrated the body is unable to filter and excrete urine as it should and therefore your body retains toxins In the body which could eventually lead to kidney problems (chronic kidney diseases, acute kidney diseases). Also drinking water helps prevent urinary tract infections and kidney stones.
2) Cardiovascular health: dehydration can cause your blood volume to deplete and this causes the heart to work harder to pump and regulate oxygenated blood through the body, this can lead to lowered energy levels and easy fatigability. This can also cause your heart to beat faster and also can lead to an increase in your blood pressure.
3) Weight loss benefits: Water helps with weight loss as it increases satiety without necessarily involving calorie intake, it also helps boost metabolism. In two studies, drinking half a liter (17 ounces) of water was shown to increase metabolism by 24-30% for up to 1.5 hours , This means that drinking 2 liters of water every day can increase your total energy expenditure by up to 96 calories per day. It is actually good to drink water cold, because then the body will use additional energy (calories) to heat the water to body temperature.
4) Supple and hydrated skin: when people are asked for their skin care routine, you would often hear them say things like “drink water and mind your business” and indeed drinking water keeps the skin nourished, soft and supple. Dehydration causes loss of skin elasticity, thereby giving your skin a dry, dehydrated and flaky look. Nobody likes dry flaky skin.
5) Mood booster: Dehydration is known to cause headaches, which might explain why it’s common to get cranky when one strikes. Research supports this theory, as a study in the Journal of Nutrition found that even mild dehydration had a negative effect on mood. Therefore, a glass of water might work double duty in helping prevent headaches as well as promote a sense of refreshment that naturally enhances mood, as well.
Yes, drinking plain water can get boring but it doesn’t have to be, make your water more fun to drink by using cute cups and bottles (i know this trick works because I have quite a number of cute cups and water bottles) add the juice of lemon to your water, make fruit infused water for a little flavor and taste, all these are tips and tricks I use to help with my consumption of water and they work. So spice up your water and increase your daily water intake and watch your body thank you for it.