What is metabolism?
it is a collection of chemical reactions that takes place in the body’s cells. Metabolism converts the fuel in the food we eat into the energy needed to power everything we do, from moving to thinking to growing.
Metabolism is the combined effect of all the varied biochemical processes that continually occur in your body on a cellular level. These processes enable every individual component of your body to function, making it possible for you to think, digest food, move and perform all the functions of a living, breathing being.” – The Schwarzbein Principle by Dr. Dianna Schwarzbein
5 items in your kitchen that will increase your metabolism naturally.
- Water: yes, pure clean water has to be the number one thing that will increase your metabolism, it is believed to be the starting point of a boosted metabolism according to Davidson. It is cheap and doesn’t require any extra work, a slight dehydration may cause a slowed down metabolism.
- Green tea: this has to be one of my favorite of them all, green tea is an antioxidant and its extracts have chemicals such as EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate) that not only helps in burning fat but also increases the metabolism. Green tea has anticancer properties, prevents heart disease, and uplifts your mood.
- Hot Peppers: Jalapeno, chili, cayenne and other forms of spicy peppers directly boost metabolism and circulation. In fact, eating hot peppers not only speeds up your metabolism, it also reduces cravings
- Beans: Protein and fiber are two of the building blocks of boosting your metabolism, so beans, rich in both, are a good choice. Trukova agrees. “Consuming 400 calories of protein will require about 80 calories to digest it, compared with only around 40 calories for carbohydrates and 12 calories required for fat digestion of the same amount of food,” she says.
- Leafy greens: any leafy green, is a great metabolism booster. This is in part due to the high fiber content of leafy greens, according to Farley. “High fiber foods like leafy greens can increase your fat burn by 30%,” she says, recommending a minimum of 3 servings per day for maximum results.
All these items listed above are inexpensive and easily assessable things that will get your metabolism boosted naturally when consumed in the right quantity.
We all know the saying “too much of everything is bad” and as such we should be mindful not to take them in excess and cause harm to our organs responsible for metabolism regulation that is the thyroid gland, the liver, the pituitary gland etc.
Be sure to visit your doctor if everything you’ve tried still does not help increase your metabolic rate in case the problem is health-related.